Tools to Change Society
1. Is your home worth as much as it was in 2008? What specific things will the Republican Party do to restore the value of our homes?
2. Do you deny that the economic crash took place during the Bush Administration? If so, why is your memory so short? If not, why would you want to put the same Party in charge again? How is the future of your family improved if Republicans win?
3. Do you deny that the economy was shedding 750,000 jobs per month at the time President Obama took office? Do you deny that 1.8 Million jobs were lost in the first 3 months of the Obama Administration? If you acknowledge that those jobs were lost, what is your justification for blaming them on the Obama Administration?
4. Why do you believe the Barons of Wall Street are on your side?
5. Do you believe that giving Wall Street a free hand, without proper regulation, is in the interests of all Americans? Are you aware that the derivatives market, which had a nominal value of $513 Trillion on September 15, 2008, now has a nominal value of between $740 Trillion and $1,400 Trillion? Did you know that the U.S. economy is now about $15 Trillion annually, and the total economy of the world is only about $55 Trillion? What is wrong with these numbers? What do they mean for our future? Is our economy at greater risk because of this apparent doubling of the derivatives market? If a “too big to fail” bank or insurance company like AIG would request another bailout in the event of another financial collapse, would you support that bailout? If your representatives supported such a bailout, how would you vote the next time around?
6. Why is it right to keep the Bush Tax Cuts in place, when they have caused a huge increase in National Debt, and now, to keep them, we must cut back on the minimal support of our neediest families? How have you benefitted from those cuts?
7. If you own shares of stock, do you believe the leaders of your company are worth over $1 Million per year? What did they do to justify this confidence? What about $100 Million bonuses for one year’s performance? Shouldn’t that money have been shared with the stockholders? If not, why not?
8. Are you a Christian? Does the brand of Christianity you espouse compare well with the Christianity Jesus Christ actually taught? Do you claim that the destruction of the American Mid-West over the last three
months by tornadoes was caused by Acts of God? How do you justify that position? What is your authority for your position?
9. Why do we need a Defense budget that is approximately twice as large as it was before 9/11? Do you agree that the Bush Administration justification for the war in Iraq was true or false? If true, how do you explain the fact that no weapons of mass destruction were found? If false, why do you still support the party that foisted a war and its costs on the American people?
10. Why are women incensed that Republican lawmakers at every level are attacking their rights to contraception? Should Viagra and other remedies for erectile dysfunction also be included in the medications that health insurers should not cover?
11. If you are a fan of Rush Limbaugh, does your wife know? If you are a woman, what do you think Rush Limbaugh adds to our civilization?
12. Are you a racist? Are you teaching your children to be racist? If so, how will your grandchildren get along in the racist society you are promoting? Do you believe the United States would be better off by returning to its discriminatory behavior of the 1960s and before? If not, how do we create a society in which all Americans can live together with respect? What are you willing to do to improve American tolerance for one another?
13. If you are a retired Veteran, did you know that the Republican Party is intent on reducing and/or eliminating your healthcare benefits? Why would you support that when you have earned those benefits by long service to our country?
14. What 5 good things can you say about W. Mitt Romney? Will non-Republicans be persuaded that your choices are not partisan?
Skip Conover is an international businessman, author and artist. He is a Founder of this organization. You can follow him and his work on Twitter using @skip_conover. "Just Askin'" will be a regular feature on this site.